Under UK fire safety law – the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 – employers must carry out a fire risk assessment, must be completed by a competent person and thoroughly examining the potential risk and spread of fire in a commercial property. Your Fire Risk Assessment should be reviewed and updated continuously to keep it a ‘live’ document.
At OPEX, we can provide a competent person to carry out your assessment for you.
Construction Site Fire Risk Assessments
As well as the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 specific HSE guidance (HSG 168) and the Joint Code of practice for fire prevention on construction sites 9th Edition places duties on Principal contractors and contractors alike during the construction process around Fire risk assessments, managing hot works, storage of materials, escape strategies, coverings plus other things.
At OPEX we can assist you in fulfilling these requirements after undertaking this role on projects of all sizes. Please call to discuss.
Our Assessments Will
Identify fire hazards and people at risk and to remove or reduce the risk of those hazards causing harm to as low as is reasonably practicable. They will also determine what fire safety measures and management policies are necessary to ensure the safety of people in the building should fire occur by:
• Reducing the probability of a fire starting.
• Ensuring that all occupants are alerted and can leave the premises safely its the event of a fire.
• Limiting the effects should a fire occur.
In order to comply with the legislation, a Competent Person must:
- Carry out a fire risk assessment identifying any possible dangers and risks;
- Consider who may be especially at risk;
- Provide advice on removal or reduction from fire as far as it is reasonably possible and provide general fire precautions to deal with any possible risk left.